Large trucks are involved in a lot of accidents each year. In 2012, there were about 333,000 large tucks that were a part of traffic crashes in the United States. During that same year, nearly 81% of fatal crashes that included large trucks were multiple-vehicle accidents. In accidents involving passenger vehicles only 58% involved multiple vehicles. At the same time, it is important to note that many people are out driving the country’s roads and not paying any attention. Some estimate that there are about 660,000 people using electronic devices while driving. It has been said that a person’s brain is occupied on a text for up to 30 seconds after reading it. You can drive the length of a football field in that time. If you have been in such an accident, you may not realize it but you may be able to sue. To do that, you will need a good trucking accident attorney.
How to Find the Best Trucking Accident Attorney for Your Case:
Ask all the people you know. The people in your life may not go around talking about it so you should ask everyone you know if they know of a good law firm that deals with car and truck accidents. Even if they have not been in the same kind of accident as you, they may have had some experience with a lawyer or two who has dealt with this kind of thing.
Call the American Bar Association. They should have a list of law firms that handles cases like yours in your city or town. You can check their website as well.
Call a few law firms. All law firms have a policy of letting people have first consultation for free. You should take advantage of that policy. Do not feel badly if you spend a lot of time with a trucking accident attorney and then tell them that you are going to go with another lawyer. This is a very normal part of the way they drum up new business and you are not going to hurt their feelings.
Ask a lot of questions. Here are a few you should not forget to ask:
- What experience do you have with this kind of law? Like doctors, lawyers specialize and you do not want to go to a trucking accident attorney who had been a divorce attorney two weeks earlier.
- What experience to you have with this kind of case? Every case is different and they may have a lot dealing with your kind of case or they may not. It is obviously better to go with a law office that has a decent amount of experience dealing with yours.
- What is their success rate with your kind of case?
- What is the timeline they think your case will take?
- What is their fee structure? Some law firms do not charge clients unless they win. Make sure you are both on the same page when it comes to the fee structure.
- What is their reputation in the legal community?
Can you speak to current or past clients?
When you are talking to the trucking accident attorney, make sure you are really comfortable doing so. Over the course of your case, you are going to have to tell this person a lot of personal details about what you are going through and if you are not completely comfortable with them you will not be able to do that and you are then dooming the case before it even begins.
Once your have found your attorney, you should do what you can to not worry about your case. That is what your legal team is there for. What you can do for your case is document everything to do with your recovery. Some people find it helpful to keep a journal or diary of all of their experiences and pain. You may think you are never going to forget it but you really will. Keep track of all of your expenses. Talk to the medical professionals who are treating you so they will keep their records accordingly.