This is the two year anniversary of one of the worst workplace injuries the community has ever seen.
The week before Christmas two years ago a father of three children and a loving home was the victim of one of the most bizarre manufacturing workplace injuries that the local petroleum company has ever had to face. This father was in the basket of one of the tallest cherry pickers at the plant when a malfunction occurred. Unable to stop the function that raised the basket to the roof, the basket finally cracked and smashed the worker into the ceiling. Crushing his lungs and chest, the accident required months of rehabilitation and it is unlikely that the victim will ever be able to feed himself or walk again.
Although the company tried to do the right think when it came to helping the victim and his family, there is no way to make up for the pain and emotional stress the family has endured.
Workplace injuries can devastate entire families and communities. When these victims are not properly compensated the problems that they and their families suffer can last a lifetime. From salary compensation to covering hospital bills and providing for rehabilitation services, it is important that companies make sure that they provide for their injured workers and their families.
Although workplace accidents can cause personal injuries, many people end up being being injured while they are on the road, as a passenger, pedestrian, or driver. Consider some of these facts and figures about the many reasons that people find themselves in need of personal injury law firms:
- Both legal and illegal drugs, other than alcohol, are involved in approximately 16% of motor vehicle crashes.
- Motorcyclists accounted for 14% of all traffic fatalities and 4% of all people injured in the year 2013.
- 1.1 million drivers were arrested for driving under the influence of narcotics or alcohol in the year 2015.
- In the year 2015, pedestrians over the age of 65 accounted for 19% of all pedestrian deaths, as well as an estimated 13% of all pedestrians injured.
- Although the percentage of drivers using handheld electronic devices, including cell phones, decreased from 3.8% in the year 2015 to 3.3% in the year 2016, distracted driving is still a cause of many accidents.
Personal injury lawyers can be a resource for families who are looking for ways to recover from an accident, whether that accident occurred at work, on the road.