if you have been injured by the negligence of another person, you may have a lawsuit. While no one really wants to be in the position to have to hire a personal injury attorney, there is reason that field of law exists. Finding the right personal injury lawyer may make all of the difference in getting the best resolution for you so you need to be careful in selecting them. Here are some tips to get you started:
- Talk to the people you know. You may not realize this but you probably know at least one person who has had to hire a personal injury attorney. Talk to your friends and family and see if you can get a recommendation. Also talk to lawyers you know. The attorney who handled your divorce cannot help you here but they may know someone who can.
- Take advantage of the free consultation. Law firms offer free first consultations to prospective clients. You should go in and interview at least three personal injury attorneys. This is important to help you get an idea of what all of your options are before you hire one. The more information you are able to get about your options, the better the chances are that you will get a good lawyer for your case.
- Ask the right questions. When you get into see a lawyer, you may feel intimidated. The easiest way to make sure you get all of your questions answered is to bring along a list. Here are some that you might to have answered. Remember, if the law firm does not want to take the time to answer your questions before you hire them, they are not going to be more forthcoming with their time later.
- What made you pick personal injury law? When you hire a lawyer, you are hiring someone to fight for your interests. That means, you want someone who is really invested in what they do. This is not the job for a personal injury attorney who is just “phoning it in.”
- How long have you been in practice? A new lawyer may be great and enthusiastic but they may not have the experience negotiating or have the reputation that will get you the best outcome for your case.
- What is your experience in and outside of the courtroom? The vast majority of these cases are decided outside of the courtroom. At least 95% of these lawsuits are settled. You need a lawyer who is both a skilled negotiator and who has experience in front of a judge.
- What percentage of your time is spent on this kind of case? It is not unusual for personal injury attorneys to handle a variety of cases. You need to know that the person handling your case is very familiar with the ins and outs of the laws that govern in.
- What kind of timeframe do think this will take? It is impossible to give a client an end date for sure but getting a general sense of how long things will take can help in a lot of ways.
- Who will be working on my case? When you hire personal injury law firms, you should know that a number of people will be working on your case. You should have a chance to get to know them, at least their name.
- What are your fees and what are your billing policies? All law firms do this their own way. You may not have to pay a fee unless you win but there could be other costs. Make sure you understand all of this before you hire anyone. You need to be able to afford your lawyer.
- Make your choice. Listen to your gut when it comes to making this decision. It is a big one and you need to be able to talk to and communicate with your lawyer. If you cannot, you may not get the best outcome.
Hiring the right personal injury lawyer can really make all the difference in getting you the best outcome for your case. It can also do a lot to ease your mind and let you focus on getting over your injuries. You can let them worry about the legal issues.